Fiddle Leaf Fig: A Guide to Caring for Your Indoor Tree
The fiddle leaf fig (Ficus lyrata) is a popular indoor tree that is prized for its large, glossy leaves and sculptural shape. For the last decade the fiddle leaf fig has reigned supreme as one of the most popular indoor houseplants by green thumbs, and designers alike. However, this plant requires a little bit of extra care to thrive. Here are some tips for caring for your fiddle leaf fig:
1. Light: Fiddle leaf figs prefer bright, indirect light. Place your plant near a window that receives plenty of natural light, but avoid exposing it to direct sunlight, which can burn its leaves.
2. Water: Fiddle leaf figs like to be kept moist but not waterlogged. Water your plant when the top inch of soil is dry to the touch. Use room temperature water to avoid shocking the roots.
3. Humidity: Fiddle leaf figs prefer a humid environment. You can increase the humidity around your plant by misting it with water or placing a tray of water near it. You can also invest in a humidifier to keep the air moist.
4. Soil: Fiddle leaf figs prefer well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. You can purchase specialized potting soil for fiddle leaf figs or create your own by mixing equal parts peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite.
5. Fertilizer: Fiddle leaf figs benefit from regular fertilization. Use a balanced fertilizer every two weeks during the growing season (spring and summer) and reduce fertilization in the winter when plants are dormant.
6. Temperature: Fiddle leaf figs prefer temperatures between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid placing your plant near drafts or in areas with extreme temperature fluctuations.
7. Pruning: Fiddle leaf figs can benefit from occasional pruning to promote bushier growth and remove dead or damaged leaves. Use sharp, clean scissors or pruning shears to make clean cuts.
With proper care, your fiddle leaf fig can grow up to 6 feet tall and become a stunning focal point in your home. Just remember to give it plenty of love, light, and water, and your indoor tree will reward you with years of beauty and enjoyment.
Leave a comment
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …